Sunday 25 March 2012

The presentation of one close relationship- Essay Presentation


“Explain the presentation of one close relationship and how it changes over the course of the novel, refer to two different passages”

Possible relationships that can be looked at:
Amir and Baba- Amir wants to share the best of Baba’s traits, but instead what they share is the betrayal of their best friends. The differences between them are outweighed by this definitive similarity. 
Hassan and Baba 
Amir and Hassan
Amir and Sohrab 
Amir and Soraya
Amir and Rahim Khan
Baba and Rahim Khan


Baba and Amir the journey chronologically:

Seeking of approval (Chapter 1-7)
 “With me as the glaring exception, my father moulded the world around his liking.” Page 14
"I didn’t want to disappoint him again.” Page 16
"I will never forget Baba’s valiant efforts to conceal the disgusted look on his face” Page 19
"Most days I worshiped Baba with the intensity approaching the religious.” Page 27
"I wished I too had some kind of scar that would beget Baba’s sympathy.” Page 40
"Baba and I lived in the same house but in different spheres of existence.” Page 43
"Maybe he’d call me Amir jan like Rahim Khan did.” Page 49
"I felt his gaze on me like the heat of a blistering sun.” Page 54

A false kind of love (Chapter 8-10, arguably the intense affection ends within chapter 8 when Amir asks for new servants)
 “It happened just the way I’d imagined.” Page 69

A sense of equality (Chapter 11-13)
“For me, America was a place to bury my memories. For Baba, a place to mourn his.” Page 112
"My student hand, clean and soft, on his labourer’s hand, grubby and calloused.” Page 113
"Hadn’t he been taller in Kabul?” Page 11
"I am moftakhir, Amir.” Page 114“I didn’t want to sacrifice for Baba anymore.” Page 117
“Baba was hobbling up the Taheri’s driveway for one last fatherly duty.” Page 142
“I could see his internal smile, as wide as the skies of Kabul.” Page 151

Life after death (How the perception of Baba changes)


Themes running through the relationship
A sense of ownership- “My father, my Baba” Page 4 / “I wanted Baba all to myself.” Page 12 / “I was proud of Baba, of us.” Page 13 / “Baba waved. I couldn’t tell if he was waving at me or Hassan.” Page 54 /

Idolisation- Building “the most beautiful house in the Wazir Akbar Khan district.” Page 4 / “Baba was used to winning, winning at everything he set his mind to.” Page 49 / “Caught between Baba and the mullahs at school, I still hadn’t made up my mind about God.” Page 55

Shame- “A boy who doesn’t stand up in himself becomes a man who can’t stand up for anything” Page 20/ “If I hadn’t seen the doctor pull him out of my wife with my own eyes, I’d never believe he’s my son.” Page 20
“I hurled a pebble at the bear when no one was watching.” Page 74- This could represent Amir’s betrayal towards his father, who is described as the bear several times in the novel. By not helping Hassan in the alleyway it has an indirect affect on his father too. However this is outside of Amir’s knowledge until he finds out that Hassan is his half brother.

Points
Being the son of a wealthy admired businessman, Amir is more than privileged but the novelty is lost when all he seeks is the approval of Baba, who despairs of his son’s inability to portray the noble traits Baba possesses. Amir cannot play football, has no stomach for a fight and writes stories, a talent in which Baba has no interest. It is Hassan who seems to have the qualities Baba looks for in Amir.

In his determination to win the admiration of Baba, Amir finds ways to humiliate Hassan which is an act of healing his bruised ego and shows his jealousy of having to share Baba with Hassan. “Hassan hadn’t done anything to earn Baba’s affections; he’d just been born with that stupid harelip.” This juvenile statement only adds to the reader’s unfavoured opinion of him.
***
The contrast of living in California is a way Hosseini manipulates setting to show the effect stature has on relationships, Baba’s noble image means nothing in America and his modest earnings bring equality between him and Amir. For once it appears that Amir is more in control as he adapts and integrates into the unfamiliar culture. This is most striking in the “Fast & Easy” grocery store where Baba is alienated by the fact that “No one trusts anybody!”  and Amir is overcome by a new found responsibility for his father.

[Needs updating]

No comments:

Post a Comment